Education Beyond Borders: Migration in Context, Berlin is a cross-disciplinary study abroad course offered by the following colleges and universities:
About the Course
As we watch unfolding events as war evolves in Ukraine, we now more than ever welcome our TCS community to join us in our mission of serving as global agents of change.
For this reason, we invite our TCS community to join our Education Beyond Borders, Migration in Context program. This program is an opportunity for our community to come together to learn how we support refugees, including those impacted each day by the war in Ukraine. Refugee supporters in Berlin and from the United Nations will join our discussions, as they rapidly prepare to receive refugees from Ukraine.
What will we learn?
Anchored on the United Nations Sustainable Goal #10: Reduced Inequalities; as a group, we seek to understand:
- As a global community, how do we create new realities and solutions for a rapidly-growing migrant population?
- What are the connections between the local community, and global issues of migration?
- How does migration contribute to inequalities?
- In what ways can global agents of change contribute to cross-disciplinary solutions?
- In 2015, unprecedented changes in governmental policy opened the borders of Germany to over a million migrants from across the globe which continues to impact this nation.
- In 2016, Education Beyond Borders embarked on its first sojourn to Berlin and our campuses learned about this experience firsthand from recent migrants.
- As we enter 2022, we revisit this experience with fresh complexities that unfold each day as Berlin prepares for a new influx of refugees from Ukraine.
- A 3-week online program, offered virtually and asynchronously, complete at your own pace
- Both local and global. Volunteer in virtual projects with a partner organization to support refugees and migrants globally
- Digital Badges learners. Upon successful completion of the program, participants will be awarded a digital badge to acknowledge their work and dedication to this experience
- Free of cost to all of our TCS community
December 20, 2021 – Registration live
April 5, 2022 – Application deadline
April 11-May 1, 2022 – Micro-credential course
Explore 2018’s Experience!
Last year Education Beyond Borders brought us to South Africa to explore the topic of identity. Check out the video and images from our excursion where we examined this critical topic.